Lamar Smith's Proven Conservative Record
- Lamar Smith has over a 90% rating from the well-respected American Conservative Union and a 90% rating from FreedomWorks.
- Lamar Smith enacted the last major immigration enforcement bill to become law. It doubled the number of Border Patrol Agents, made it easier to deport criminal aliens and outlined an entry-exit system to track visa overstayers.
- He joined Sen. Ted Cruz in leading over a 100 Members of Congress in support of a lawsuit against the Administration’s unconstitutional amnesty. A federal judge and an appeals court agreed. The President’s executive order is on hold pending a decision by the Supreme Court.
- He revealed that the Obama Administration was releasing tens of thousands of criminal immigrants into our communities.
- Lamar Smith voted to strip federal funding from sanctuary cities that violate federal immigration laws.
- He has introduced legislation to fully implement the E-Verify employment verification system, which prohibits hiring illegal immigrants and protects Americans' jobs.
- He founded the Border Security Caucus in Congress that believes the border must be secured first.
- Lamar Smith has led efforts to stop the admission of Syrian refugees and to expedite the deportation of illegal immigrants to Central America.
- As a member of the Budget Committee, Lamar Smith helped write the last balanced budget enacted into law.
- Lamar Smith was the first Judiciary Committee Chairman in 15 years to bring a balanced budget amendment to the House floor.
- He supported the Budget Control Act that has reduced spending by $2.1 trillion over the last four years.
- He voted for a balanced budget and co-authored a Constitutional amendment to balance the budget every Congress.
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Lamar Smith was the first Science Committee chairman in 21 years to issue a subpoena, which targeted the costly regulations of the EPA. He has issued a total of eight subpoenas.
- His Secret Science Reform Act passed the House and requires the EPA to make public the data on which the EPA bases their burdensome regulations.
- He forced the EPA to change and delay unnecessary regulations.
- ● Lamar Smith has voted more than 50 times to repeal or replace Obamacare.
- Lamar Smith received the NRA's annual award for stopping gun control legislation.
- He has an A rating from the NRA and from the Gun Owners of America. He holds a Texas Concealed Handgun License.
- Lamar Smith helped pass the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act and helped block the ATF’s backdoor ammo ban.
- Lamar Smith has passed tort reform legislation in the House to limit damages in frivolous lawsuits that cost innocent Americans their reputations and their hard-earned dollars. It requires the plaintiff to pay the defendant’s legal fees in junk lawsuits.
- As Judiciary Committee chairman, Lamar Smith passed legislation in the House of Representatives to protect the conscience rights of health care providers so they don’t have to provide abortion services under Obamacare.
- He has filed numerous legal briefs challenging Obamacare’s violation of individuals’ religious liberties and conscience rights.
- Lamar Smith has a 100% pro-life voting record.
- He opposes using federal funds for abortion.
- He supports defunding Planned Parenthood.
- Lamar Smith, along with Sen. Cruz, filed a legal brief with the Supreme Court to support the Texas anti-abortion law.
- Lamar Smith enacted a law to reduce child pornography on the Internet.
- He passed legislation three times in the House of Representatives to guard against tax return identity theft.
- Lamar Smith enacted the America Invents Act that protects Americans' inventions and jobs. He was named Policymaker of the Year for passing this legislation.
- Lamar Smith founded the Media Fairness Caucus to combat the liberal national media. The Caucus publishes a bi-weekly newsletter.
- Lamar Smith was ranked the most effective Member of the Texas delegation in the last Congress in a joint study conducted by the University of Virginia and Vanderbilt University.
Keep Lamar Smith working for us.